Interested in becoming a member of the Les Cheneaux Yacht Club? That’s great! Here is information about the application process.
In order to apply for membership, you must have a residence (seasonal or permanent) in the Les Cheneaux Islands. First, you must ask a Club member to sponsor you. The Sponsor must have known you for at least two years, and also must have been an LCYC member for at least two years. Ideally, this person would be willing to take you as his/her guest to some events at the LCYC so that you can become more familiar with the Club and meet some of our members.
Before applying, we like potential members to visit the Club—ideally, several times—so they know more about it. In order to attend an LCYC catered party or social hour, you must accompany a member as his/her guest. However, because the Les Cheneaux Yacht Club promotes and encourages sailing in the area, most of the sailing events are open to everyone, members and non-members alike.
LCYC is home to Ensign Fleet 31, and Ensign, Sunfish, and M17 races are held throughout the summer. The Club hosts a three-day Regatta for Ensign Fleet 31 and a single-day Adult Sunfish Regatta.
The Club offers two sailing programs for children. Youth Sailing is offered on Saturday mornings, using the Club’s Optimist Prams and Sunfish, culminating in a Youth Sunfish Regatta. These sessions are open to members, guests, and community members (no additional fee required). For more information, visit the Youth Sailing page. A weeklong Junior Sailing Camp in July provides more intensive sailing instruction for children age 8-16. Space is limited, and registration and an additional fee are required; for more information, visit the Junior Sailing Camp page.
Below are the steps involved once a Sponsor has agreed to sponsor you:
- Your Sponsor requests an application from the Membership Chair.
- The Membership Chair sends an application and instructions to your Sponsor.
- Your Sponsor then gives you the application to fill out and acts as your liaison to the Club.
- Your Sponsor writes a letter of support and introduction to the LCYC Board, which will accompany your completed application.
- Two additional letters of support are sent directly to the Membership Chair from LCYC members (of one year or longer) who have known you for at least one year.
- The Board reviews your completed application.
Please email the Membership Chair at email@example.com with any questions.